Nigerians have been vehemently critical and have lashed out on the Federal Government and the Governor of the CBN, and termed them dictators and oppressors due to the fact that the CBN has carried out federal government orders to freeze the accounts of endSARS promoters.
This news upon its pronouncement and execution was greeted with so much anger and criticism by Nigerians who have become tired and frustrated with so many of the wrong policies of the FG as well as their clueless execution.
For many Nigerian within the country and those in Diaspora they have become so disappointed with how the country is being administered by the President and why so many of the country’s resources are not being properly harnessed and managed.
Majority of the news coming out from Nigeria in recent times have been really shameful to say the least and this report has added to the list of worries Nigerians are facing as a nation.
As expected many Nigerians took to their social media platforms to vent their anger and frustration on the present administration, the judicial system and the CBN executives in particular.
It was earlier gathered that the CBN got approval from the court to freeze these accounts but the questions on every one’s mind is, why freeze the accounts in the first place? Is it not within the legal rights of citizens to organise peaceful protest and exercise their civil opinions in matters that directly affects their well being?
Nigerian youths did not hide their displeasure on the recent developments and criticised the CBN governor for going behind closed doors to freeze accounts while trying to dialogue with some EndSARS promoters. Others accused the federal government of trying to oppress the masses
To make matters worse the governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Godwin Emefiele, provoked Nigerians by filing a suit seeking to freeze the accounts of some people involved in the EndSARS protests that rocked the country.
This was revealed in a document dated Tuesday, October 20, where the CBN governor filed the request and was granted permission by the court on Thursday, November 5.
According to news source Legit.ng it was reported that Nigeria’s apex bank got the go-ahead to freeze the accounts of 19 people and a public affairs company linked to the protests against police brutality in Nigeria.
Many Nigerians are still reeling from the pain caused by the EndSARS protest and Lekki toll plaza Shooting and instead of the FG to focus on the needful they are freezing account of citizens perceived to be behind the protest.
All these recent antics by the FG have led to series of angry criticism and name calling even for the CBN governor.
Below are some of the reactions comments and criticisms gathered from Twitter by Legit.ng:
-Oby Ezekwesili, a former education minister and ex-vice president of the World Bank’s Africa region wrote on Twitter: “What manner of contradiction is this, @MBuhari? You have young people on your mandated state panels of enquiry on #EndSARS whose personal accounts your lackey at the @cenbank has gone on to freeze. Does this make any sense? Incompetence is actually more dangerous than COVID-19…
“So because Godwin Emefiele did not succeed in persuading the young #EndSARS protesters to call-off their protest at that inglorious meeting he called some of them to with the private sector, he’s now using our public institution, @cenbank, to punish them? Better be wise, Godwin.”
-Fisayo Soyombo said CBN had already frozen the accounts before running to court for an order. He said: “They couldn’t even think straight before striking.”
-@firstladyship said Emefiele has chosen his side and it is not with the Nigerian youth.
-Kanny said Nigerian leaders have misplaced priorities. According to him, if the energy used in blocking accounts of protesters is used to block that of Boko Haram sponsors, the war against terrorism would have been won.
-Victor Babatunde with the handle @vhic_tore said the only power the youths have is social media.
-Another tweet described the move as undemocratic and oppressive.
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the federal government denied compiling a ‘no-fly list’ of Nigerian youths who participated in the #ENDSARS protests across the country. This was contained in a tweet by Federal Ministry of Interior who claimed that it was fake news.
Nigerians are really fed up especially the younger generations who are strongly of the opinion that the FG is taking them for granted and many Nigerians believe that indeed enough is enough.
Gift Joseph Okpakorese