The Nigerian military confirmed that the Boko Haram insurgents attacked Nigeria’s 157 Battalion attached to the Multi-National Joint Task Force.
Colonel Sani Usman, the spokesman for the army, who had earlier said investigations on the matter should be directed to officials of the 7 division of the Nigerian Army in Maiduguri, spoke to the Premium Times reporter after the story was published.
He said: “I want to confirm the incidence at Gudunbali but the details you provided were not correct, and Baga has never been attacked.
“The unit attacked is within the area of responsibility of the MNJTF and troops are now organising to counter the attack,” he said.
Usman added that the Theatre Command of the 7 Division would give the details of the attack during a press conference arranged later today in Maiduguri.
Meanwhile, he did not provide any details to counter our account of the incident.
It was reported earlier that at least 105 soldiers including their commanding officer were missing after the attack on November 18.
Nigerians immediately reacted to the news on Twitter. They launched hash tag #BringBackOurSoldiers and called out for President Muhammadu Buhari to act on the case of missing soldiers.