The Yoruba subset of Nollywood has seen many beautiful and talented acts who have painstakingly been able to make a name for themselves and also money in their bank accounts. Truly, many of them have side hustles, but their major source of income is from movies they act, produce or direct. Here is a list out of 10 Nollywood actresses and their estimated net worth.
1. Funke Akindele-Bello
Popular Nollywood actress Funke Ayotunde Akindele-Bello, is unarguably the richest Yoruba actress in Nigeria. She is popularly known as Funke Akindele or Jenifa due to the character she plays in popular TV series, Jenifa’s Diary. Funke is a Nigerian actress and producer who was born on August 24th, 1977, in Ikorodu, Lagos State, Nigeria.
Funke Akindele obtained an ordinary national diploma (OND) in mass communication from the former Ogun State Polytechnic, now Moshood Abiola Polytechnic.
Funke who has been in the industry since the 90s first starred in the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) sponsored sitcom I Need to Know from 1998 to 2002.
Funke Akindele’s big break didn’t come until 2008 when she appeared in the movie Jenifa’s Diary. She plays the lead character in the ongoing hit TV show Jenifa’s Diary, which is a spin-off from the movie Jenifa’s Diary.
In July 2019, Funke Akindele started a new web series, Aiyetoro Town, a spinoff from her popular TV series, ‘Jenifa’s Diary.
The mother-of-two has won many awards some of which are the Africa movie academy award (AMAA) for Best actress in a leading role(2009); Best actress in a comedy at the 2016 Africa magic viewer’s choice awards (AMVCA). Best actress in a comedy at the 2020 Africa magic viewers choice award etc.
Funke is the CEO of Scene One Film Production which produces entertainment content like TV series, Nollywood movies, TV shows and music for TV stations which has a mobile phone application. She has another app named Jenifa Spells which is an educational app that has family word games. The app was designed by Abdulrasheed Bello aka JJC Skillz, her husband.
She also owns a non-governmental organization known as the Jenifa Foundation, which aims at providing young people with vocational skills; she owns an acting school named Scene One School of Drama.
Funke has starred in countless movies, both in English and Yoruba and is one of the highest paid actors in Nigeria. Reports say she charges about N400,000 per movie role like her counterparts, Odunlade Adekola and Femi Adebayo.
Her net worth is estimated at about $7.6 million (N3.1 billion). Aside from acting, Funke also earns well from scriptwriting, film production, directing, and costume and production design. She has written films like Egun (2007), Agbefor (2006); produced the likes of Omo Ghetto: The Saga (2020) which made over N468 million in Nigerian cinemas, Jennifa’s Diary (2015); directed Your Excellency (2019), Aje metta 1&2 (2008) and equally worked as a costume and production designer in Omo Ghetto: The Saga (2020).
Asides from the aforementioned which obviously generates a large income for her, Funke has multiple endorsement deals such as being a brand ambassador for:
- Kellogs Nigeria
- Keystone Bank
- Waw Nigeria
- Lagos State Inland Revenue Service
- 1960 Bet
- Western Lotto
Funke Akindele owns a house in topnotch area, Amen Estate, Ibeju Lekki, Lagos state Nigeria. It is said to be a 7-bed detached mansion that boasts of the finest porcelain and granite floor tiles, elegant POP ceilings, a fully fitted kitchen with granite worktops, fitted wardrobes, a Jacuzzi steam bath with shower in the elegant master bedroom bath, and various other luxury components.
Funke is also a sucker for good cars. Her automobiles are :
- Bentley Continental GT
- Toyota Prado SUV
- Lamborghini Aventador
- Rolls Royce Vintage
- Lexus LX 570 SUV
2. Sola Sobowale
Veteran, Sola Sobowale is a Nigerian film actress, screenwriter, director and producer. Sola Sobowale was born on the 26th December 1963 (age 58 years) in Ondo state, Nigeria. She had her primary school education and secondary education in Ondo state as well. She had her bachelors degree in theatre arts from the University of Ibadan (UI). She is married with five children.
She is one of the modern day actresses in the industry who has been able to function both in the English and Yoruba subset of Nollywood.
Sola aka Toyin Tomato started acting in 1992, through several roles in movies produced by Awada Kerikeri group under the leadership of Adebayo Salami. Before shooting into stardom, Sola Sobowale had roles in The Village Headmaster, Mirror in the Sun, and in the Yoruba film, Asewo To Re Mecca.
However she didn’t have her big break until 2001, in the premiere of Nigeria’s popular television drama series Super Story: Oh Father, Oh Daughter. Sola was away from the industry for a couple of years as she relocated abroad with her husband but came back some years after and since then there has been no going back. She has starred in many blockbuster movies like Gold Statue (2019), King of Boys (2018), Wives on Strike (2017) Wedding Party 1&2 (2016/17), Lockdown (2021), King of Boys 2 (2021) and so on. Sources say she earns about ₦500,000 to ₦1,500,000 per movie role.
Sobowale has clinched many awards as well. Like many thespians her age, she rarely flaunts her wealth on social media, so her cars or properties are unknown.
The veteran actress is one of the most influential with an estimated net worth of about $500,000 – $1 million (N208 million – N416.8 million) and with a number of exceptional eye catching movies that have received enormous sales. Sola Sobowale is one of the few Nigeria actresses that have left her foot print in the Nollywood industry, considering how influential she has been in recent years. Asides from the money she makes in the movie industry, she is a brand ambassador for:
- Mouka Foams
- BSTAN Homes
- MiddleChase Properties
- Unity Bank
3. Toyin Abraham
On the 5th of September 1984, Olutoyin Aimakhu now Toyin Abraham was born into the family of the Aimakhus’ in Edo State Nigeria, she had her elementary education in Edo state before her family moved down to Ibadan. After moving to Ibadan, she continued her education.
Toyin had her National Diploma in business studies (ND) at the Iree Polytechnic in Osun State and went on to bag her Bachelor’s Degree in Philosophy at the Olabisi Onabanjo University. Right after she had her bachelor’s degree she returned to Iree Polytechnic for her Higher National Diploma (HND) in Marketing.
Toyin started her acting career in 2003 and her first movie Dugbe Dugbe Nbo by Bukky Wright made way for her. Her career in Nollywood started officially in 2004 when she started receiving invitations to feature in new movies but didn’t have her real breakthrough until her self-produced movie Alakada Reloaded which made it on Netflix, that was her entry and there has been no going back since then.
In 2019 she got married to Kolawole Ajeyemi who is also an actor and their union is blessed with a son.
Today, Toyin Abraham is one of the most sought after actresses both in English and Yoruba Nollywood. She is also a producer, filmmaker, director, businesswoman and TV personality.
Toyin is well known for her comic roles which has always singled her out. She has acted in over 100 English and Yoruba movies which generates money for her as she once revealed that she makes millions from a gig.
For someone of her pedigree, a lot of awards are expected. Toyin has been nominated for awards and won numerous, some of which are:
- Best Actress Alakada by Ben TV Awards – 2014
- Best Indigenous Actress by the Nigeria Entertainment Awards – 2014
- The Best Supporting Actress Feature Film Hakkunde by Five Continents International Film Festival – 2017
- Best Actress in Nollywood by Moreklue All Youths Award (MAYA) – 2017
- The Best Female Act by the Nigeria Entertainment Awards (NEA) – 2017
- Best Actress Alakada Reloaded Exquisite Lady of the Year (ELOY) – 2017
- Best Supporting Actress Tatu by Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards (AMVCA) – 2018
- Best Actress in a Drama Elevator Baby by Africa magic viewers’ choice awards – 2020
Toyin Abraham’s net worth is estimated to be within the range of $500,000 – $1 million (N208 million – N416.8 million).
Aside from being an actress, Toyin Abraham has tried her hands on some other businesses as an entrepreneur;
- Toyin started a herbal medicine business named Toyin Herbal in October 2019 which was quite popular with women at the time. One of their flagship products, a ‘Female fertility booster’ which promises to improve women’s sexual wellbeing, improve menstrual cycle, reduce cramps, support and stabilize pregnancy, sold for about N65,000 per pack. However, in January 2020, she made a post on her Instagram disclosing that she would be shutting down the business due to “structural disagreements with her partners.”
- She is the CEO of Curvs Slimming Tea (CurvslimmingteabyToyin). Her merchandise sells as far as in Europe, UK, Dubai, and the USA
- She owns bodytalkbyToyin, a subsidiary of Toyin Abraham Company.
- Toyin owns TAJ dresses boutique in Lekki, Lagos. (TAJ – Toyin Aimakhu Johnson, was derived from her ex-husband’s name, Adeniyi Johnson in 2003)
- She owns Toyin Abraham Ajeyemi Films on YouTube where she distributes some of her films. On the other hand, one of her films, Fate of Alakada, which reportedly made over N100 million from theatres was acquired by Netflix to now be exclusively distributed on the platform.
She is a Brand ambassador for:
- Checkers Custard
- Revolution Plus
- FairMoney Microfinance Bank
- Vas2Nets Technologies Limited
- Globacom Nigeria
Some of luxurious automobiles are the:
- Mercedes Benz G-Wagon Barbus
- Lexus GX 460 (N32 million )
- 4matic Benz (N26 million)
4. Mercy Aigbe
Speaking of a top fashionistas in the Yoruba movie industry and Mercy Aigbe effortlessly tops the list. The beautiful actress who hails from Edo State was born January 1, 1978. She had her primary and secondary education in Lagos and holds an Ordinary National
Diploma in financial studies from the Polytechnic Ibadan and also has a Bachelor’s degree in Theatre Arts from the University of Lagos. She started her acting career in 2006 and has featured in over a hundred movies which include Afefe Ife, lle Oko mi, Iro funfun, Oju Ife, and others.
Over the years, Mercy Aigbe has been in the spotlight for her roles in Yoruba movies and how she interprets them well. She is truly a talented actress. Among the numerous awards she has received are City People Entertainment Yoruba Movie Personality of the Year (2015) and the Most Popular Actress Nominee at the NET Honours (2018).
Mercy is said to be worth $1.1 million (459.8 million). Like many others on the list, Mercy Aigbe is another actress who has proven that it is important to diversify one’s income source. Though she got famous through acting and the bulk of her net worth comes from it, the actress has invested her career earnings into the fashion business and establishing an acting school which she earns from. She owns:
- Mercy Aigbe Gentry School of Drama (MAG School of Drama) The MAG School of Drama was founded in the year 2016 and like most similar schools, it offers training to desirous acting students in various fields of filmmaking.
- In November 2014, Mercy Aigbe launched Mag Divas Boutique. She has painstakingly grown the brand to become one of the top fashion stores in Lagos State with customers all over the country and beyond. She has managed to open branches in other towns like Ibadan. Her doggedness with the business earned her the Fashion entrepreneur of the year award by Links and Glitz World Awards in 2015.
- She launched an offshoot of her boutique business, Asoebi Mercy through which she sells high-end asoebi materials for high-class customers.
- Also, she runs skincare and cosmetic brand which she readily promotes on her social media pages.
As a celebrity, Mercy has signed some good endorsement deals with some companies and uses her social media pages to promote their products and services; some of which are:
- In 2014, she signed an endorsement deal with Elephant Gold Rice
- Leisure Court
- Prestige Cosmetics (for one year)
- Edalaf Brother Limited
- Shape You
- BK Hair
- Naija Taxi Services
- Mummy Glee beauty store
- HNK Interior
She bought her mansion in 2018, and it’s reported to be worth N200 million. She has luxurious automobiles like:
- Range Rover HSE (High Specification Equipment) (N30 million)
- Acura MDX SUV
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Mercedes-Benz GLA 250 (N16 million)
5. Eniola Badmus
Eniola Badmus was born, 7th September, 1977 in Lagos State, though she is originally from Ijebu Ode. She moved to Ijebu Ode in Ogun State to have her elementary education and secondary school education in Ijebu Ode before proceeding to the University of Ibadan to get a Bachelor’s Degree in theatre arts.
Eniola then moved to Lagos to acquire her Masters of Science in Economics at the Lagos State Univerisity (LASU).
After moving to Lagos state in the year 2000 she joined the Nigeria movie industry Nollywood and began her acting career. She has been acting for a while but didn’t reach limelight until she was featured in Funke Akindele-Bello’s blockbuster movie Omo Ghetto (2008), after which she also starred in Jenifa, another Funke Akindele-Bello multi-millionaire project and award-winning movie series.
After attaining fame, Eniola Badmus, popularly known as Gbogbo Big Girl, has been featured in numerous Nollywood movies both Yoruba and English movies.
Her career in acting has taken her far, she has won a lot of awards and gotten good nominations, some which are:
- In 2010, Eniola Badmus was nominated as the “Best Actress in a Supporting Role”
- In 2011, she was nominated as “Best Actress in a Leading Role (Yoruba)”
- In 2011, she won the “Best Crossover in a Film” (Best of Nollywood Awards)
- In 2012, she was nominated as “Best Supporting Actress in a Yoruba film”
- In 2014, she won the “Best Actress of the Year (Yoruba)” (City People Entertainment Awards 2014)
- In 2014, she was nominated as the “Best Comedic Act”
- In 2015, she won the “Best Comedic Act” (Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards)
- In 2015, she won the “Best Actress in Africa” (Black Entertainment Film Fashion Television and Arts)
In 2011, she was honored by the Nigerian Federal Government as a Member of the Order of the Federal Republic (MFR) which happens to be the highest award and honor given to a celebrity in Nigeria who has contributed immensely to the economy growth and development of the country through entertainment.
Eniola Badmus current net worth is estimated to be within $1 million – $1.5 million (N416.8 million – N627.1 million). Her earnings are attributed to years of acting, appearing in over 200 Nollywood movies and also through income from endorsement deals.
Asides acting, Eniola Badmus is a script writer, entertainer and a social media influencer. She recently celebrated her 20 years on stage with her new ‘trim’ figure.
She has had endorsement deals like:
- In March 2016, Eniola was unveiled as telecommunications company, Etisalat’s brand ambassador
- Western Lotto
- Indomie Noodles
- Rite Foods
- Peak Milk
- Deshapeables weight loss
- African Cable Television (ACTV)
- Lagos Waste Management Authority, LAWMA
Since 2019, Eniola Badmus has run a ‘Feed the Needy’ initiative with the objective to putting smiles on the faces of the less privileged by providing their needs every New Year’s Day.
She owns multi-million naira assets ranging from luxurious vehicles to huge houses.
Some of her automobile collections are:
- 2 Honda Pilot (N13.7 million each)
- Toyota Land Cruiser (N30.8 million)
- Rolls Royce phantom (N134 million)
6. Iyabo Ojo
Iyabo Ojo who hails from Abeokuta, Ogun State was born on 21st, December 1977. She had her elementary education in Lagos and later on studied Estate management at Lagos State Polytechnic. She subsequently began her acting career in 1998 after joining the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN).
In 2002, Iyabo made her debut in a Yoruba movie titled Darijinwon and since then she has acted in about a hundred films such as Satanic, Okanla, Silence, Tori Ife, /padabo, etc. Iyabo Ojo has also produced several films like Bolutife, Bofeboko, Ololufe, Esan. Her movie Silence released in 2015 premiered at Silverbird Cinemas in Lagos and made a good fortune. The film reportedly cost her millions of naira to produce.
Iyabo Ojo’s estimated net worth is $300,000 – $500,000 (N126 million – N209 million).
Aside acting and movie production, Iyabo Ojo makes money from all of the real estate investments, brand endorsements and her personal luxury business brand.
Some of her endorsement deals are: lyabo Ojo has leveraged her beauty and popularity to draw the attention of many fashion and skincare- focused businesses like:
- Mav Herbals
- Rixari Skincare and Spa
- Jtechtrade, an organization that offers cryptocurrency and financial services
- Pragmatic Homes
lyabo Ojo also owns some other businesses which are subsets of Fespris Limited:
- Fespris Spa
- Fespris World (sells beauty products like butt and hip enlargement creams)
- Fespris Limited; a lounge and beauty salon
- Fespris Abula Spot; a restaurant with a specialty in local delicacies
- Fespris Decor
Though there are no figures to point out how much these businesses have contributed to her net worth to merit her mention here as one of the richest Yoruba actresses in Nigeria, it is generally believed that the actress banks heavily from her businesses; little wonder she is seen always promoting the brand. The actress is reportedly investing and earning in the real estate industry in Nigeria as well. She is known to have purchased a luxurious mansion in the Lekki area of Lagos.
Asides her luxurious home, her automobile collection is:
- Range Rover HSE (82 million)
- Range Rover Evoque (N78 million)
- Mercedes C Class sedan (₦19 million)
- Lexus RX 350 (N11 million)
- Toyota Venza (N9.8 million)
7. Fathia Williams
Fathia Balogun now Fathia Williams was born February 5, 1969 is a multiple award-winning Yoruba actress who is influential and among the richest Yoruba actresses in the industry. The multi-talented filmmaker has a diploma certificate from Kwara State Polytechnic before she enrolled at the University of Lagos where she earned a bachelor’s degree in Economics.
Fathia actively began acting professionally in the early 1990s and even though acting wasn’t her initial career plan, she has become well known for her acting prowess. Having starred in about a hundred movies, she has proven to be avery strong force to reckon with in the Yoruba movie industry.
Some of the prestigious awards she has received include the 2008 Most Outstanding Actress and Best Indigenous film of the year award for the movie, Iranse Aje, 2015 Best Indigenous Language Yoruba Awards for a movie, Iya Alalake, at the African Magic Viewers Choice Awards.
With a professional acting career that has spanned about 32 years, Fathia has done well for herself to boast of an estimated $400,000 – $500,000 (N167 million – N209 million) net worth which earns her recognition as one of the richest Yoruba actresses. But like many on this list, acting (though the main source) is just one of her numerous income streams as WithinNigeria has come to learn. Fathia Williams:
- Is the CEO of House of Faiteer – a health and beauty outfit that sells body care products, headgears, renders manicure and pedicure services
- She owns and runs a performing arts training school named Powerhouse Performing Arts School that offers training to desirous students on film production, directing and set design, location management, and film music, make-up and costume, scriptwriting, cinematography, set property management, acting, and presentation.
As it is the norm with wealthy and popular Yoruba actresses, Fathia uses her image as a famed actress to promote several other businesses and their brands.
Some companies she has signed with include
- Adron Homes and Properties Limited
- Osedudu Special Skincare
- Suru Group. With Suru Group, which is a limited liability company with investments in real estate, hospitality, and manufacturing, Fathia signed an endorsement deal that is worth about N10 million.
8. Dayo Amusa
Dayo Amusa is a beautiful and wealthy actress from Lagos State. Born July 20, 1983 She had her primary and secondary education in Ogun State. She studied Food Science and Technology at Moshood Abiola Polytechnic.
Amusa commenced acting fully in 2002 and has acted in several Yoruba movies, including Igbese, Aye mi and I Go Blow My Mind amongst several others. Dayo is one of the few actresses that act in both Yoruba and English movies and from these, she has earned remarkably well to be recognized as one of the richest Yoruba actresses on this list with a net worth of about $500,000 (N209 million).
She has received several awards like the 2014 Award for the Best Indigenous Actress at the Nollywood Movies Award for her movie, Unforgivable. She was also a recipient of the Nollywood Female Face of the Year at the 2017 Pink Awards. As one of the richest Yoruba actresses on this list, Dayo is also one of those who don’t relent in their spending pattern as she believes she works hard to have whatever she has. A fan had at a time criticized her on this and she chose the opportunity to reveal what her sources of income are asides acting. They include brand sponsorship and influencer, business and movie production.
Dayo Amusa has shown her entrepreneurial side. She owns:
- DalasPro; a beauty and cosmetic business
- Amzadol Productions; a production company which has produced movies like Unforgivable (Ainidariji) in 2013 and Omoniyun in 2019.
Amusa is also a talented singer who has released a couple of songs like Mororire, Alejo, Omo Daddy, Blow My Mind, Women Arise, Marry Me, Ife Foju, and Mama’s Love. She distributes her songs mainly on platforms where she has monetized her presence and earns reasonably a good amount of money when people download her songs.
She has signed some endorsement deals with notable companies like:
- Techno Mobile in a deal said to be worth millions of naira
- BisMid Luxury Cosmetics Company
9. Mide Martins
Born April 12, 1979, in Ibadan, Oyo State, Mide Funmi Martins is a popular and wealthy Yoruba actress. She had her primary education before she went to Lagos where she had her secondary education. She holds a diploma in International Relations from Olabisi Onabanjo University.
Mide began acting actively shortly after her mother Funmi Martins died; she ventured into the acting industry to keep her mother’s memory. From 2003 till now, she has been featured in numerous Yoruba movies to which she has been well paid for and also earned her a place among the richest Yoruba actresses. She’s best known to interpret roles that show jealousy and strife satisfactorily.
Mide has acted in movies like Akoba Obirin, Arewa, Ipinle Mi, and lots more. Mide also as a movie producer has seen her produce Yoruba films like Omo oku run and Erù elérù. She is believed to have earned handsomely from these production endeavors.
The movie, Omo Oku Orun, brought her prominence in the industry and she won a few awards such as the
- Yoruba Movie Gist Award for Best Supporting Actress 2020
- City People Movie Award for Best Actress of the Year (Yoruba)
- City People Best Supporting Actress of the Year (Yoruba).
Mide has diverse income sources that add to her $400,000 net worth, though acting is her claim to fame and wealth, Mide has diversified her income sources to include non-acting sources which range from modeling to brand endorsements and sponsorships.
Some of her brand endorsements deals are:
- Katawa Properties. The deal to which she put pen to paper was at the time reported to be running into millions of naira
- Osedudu World; a skincare company
- Fatil Luxury; a weight loss supplement company
- Philly Boutique.
From the look of things, it appears to be that the actress doesn’t only endorse these brands but perhaps also owns some of the businesses.
Mide Funmi Martins also earns from modeling and a clothing line she owns called Myde Luxury Attires.
10. Eniola Ajao
Eniola Ajao was born January 21. She attended primary and secondary School in Epe. She went on to Yaba College of Technology and subsequently to the University of Lagos, where she earned a bachelors degree.
The stunning actress is a firm believer in creativity, which has been her driving force in the industry since her debut in 2004. Eniola has appeared in over 100 Yoruba films and has a successful career.
Her debut acting was in Odunlade Adekola’s film Igba Aimo, which established her in the Nollywood industry. Since then she has featured in several movies including
- Erin Orin
- The Vendor and many others.
In 2015, Eniola Ajao was nominated for the Best Actress in a Supporting Role in a Yoruba-language film at the 2015 Best of Nollywood Awards.
In 2018, she featured as Yele Ara, in the blockbuster movie The Vendor.
Ajao has an estimated net worth of $350,000 (N146 million)
She has signed ambassadorial deals with:
- PaddyPaddy Bet
- Hush’D Makeover
Here is also a list of 10 richest Nollywood Yoruba actors and their net worth. Read details here