Home #End SARS Lekki Shooting: We won’t disclose identity of personnel deployed in Lekki tollgate...

Lekki Shooting: We won’t disclose identity of personnel deployed in Lekki tollgate – Nigerian Army

213
0
Lekki Shooting, Nigerian Army
Lekki Shooting, Nigerian Army

It is very obvious that as international communities as well as Nigerians in general are so much interested in seeing the outcome of the Investigations surrounding the Lekki Shootings, the speculations and news updates will keep pouring in as the events will not go away in a hurry.

Moreso as families of victims and those affected by the I’ll fated disaster are still reeling from the psychological and emotional trauma caused by this incidence.

Speaking recently on the Lekki toll gate massacre. The military stated that they were in no mood or position to reveal those men behind the Lekki shootings.

The Nigerian Army insisted and said that it will not disclose the identities of its men who were sent to Lekki tollgate on October 20, 2020.

Soldiers had dispersed #EndSARS protesters who prevented vehicular movement along that axis for two weeks.

The incident had triggered different reactions, within and outside the country, as the military and the federal government were accused of human rights abuse.

While there are reports that many persons were killed by soldiers, only one case has been confirmed so far.

In an interview with PUNCH, Osoba Olaniyi, spokesman of the 81 division of the Nigerian Army, said it is unprofessional for the army to name the soldiers who were in action on that day.

“It is against operational security. We don’t give that. It is against the policy of operational security. There is no problem here. The picture some people paint, as if we are fighting with the state government, is wrong,” the newspaper quoted him to have said.

The army had initially denied being responsible for the incident.

In separate tweets, the army had labelled the reports on soldiers opening fire at the tollgate as fake news.

But last week, Olaniyi confirmed that soldiers were the ones who carried out the operation.

He had said the Lagos state government invited the army to restore order after widespread violence.

“At no time did soldiers of the Nigerian Army open fire on any civilian. From the onset of the ENDSARS protest, there was no time personnel of 81 Division Nigerian Army Lagos were involved,” he had said in a statement.

“However, the decision to call in the military was taken by the Lagos State Government (LASG) after a 24- hour curfew was imposed.

“This was as a result of the violence which led to several police stations being burnt, policemen killed, suspects in police custody released and weapons carted away. The situation was fast degenerating into anarchy. It was at this point that LASG requested for the military to intervene in order to restore normalcy.

“The intervention of the military followed all laid down procedures for Internal Security operations and all the soldiers involved acted within the confines of the Rules of Engagement (ROE) for Internal Security operations.”

What is mind boggling in the mind of many Nigerian right now is the discrepancies in the results and reports of the investigation. The inconsistencies and denials cannot march up with what video evidence revealed to Nigerians and the world at large

According to well meaning Nigerians and world governing bodies ” It would be indeed be an unfair outcome and a grave denial of justice laced with a sense of impunity o the part of the federal government, if the perpetrators of this heinous crimes against humanity and their rights to civil protest and existence are not subjected to face the consequences of their actions under the law.

Gift Joseph Okpakorese

Staff Writer

Previous articleAre We Too Quick to Call Out the Mugus? – by Chris Ikeanyi
Next articleNigeria needs to be restructured ASAP. ‘No More Excuses’ — Gov El-Rufai

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here