Colonel Sambo Dasuki, former National Security Adviser (NSA), has released images of sophisticated weapons attained by ex-president Goodluck Jonathan to fight the Boko Haram insurgency.
Dasuki has also spoken about how the previous government recaptured many local governments from the terrorists.
Immediate past NSA said: “The armored tanks have comprehensive NBC protection system, just as we deployed Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles that we bought and could withstand improvised explosive device (IED) attacks and ambushes. The vehicles had protected our troops from the land mine threats.
“We are glad that we also provided assorted Armoured Personnel Carriers to transport troops to the battlefield. They are armed for self-defence and to provide protection from attacks from shrapnel and small arms fire.
“All these were acquired in the last one year after years of frustration by Western powers who denied us of the equipment and sabotage our efforts to acquire same from other sources which are reasons for some delay in delivery.”
Ex-NSA noted that some other weapons already paid for by the previous government are due to be transported soon.
“It was unfortunate that some elements are frustrating the efforts as we even had to query some suppliers for delay in delivery of arms and ammunitions,” Dasuki added.
“We utilized some of these equipment to recover more than 22 local governments under Boko Haram terrorists and ensured that Shekau did not disrupt the 2015 election as he had threatened. Not only did we ensure that the elections were peaceful, Shekau has never spoken to threaten anyone again since then.”
Former NSA answering to critics of past government on security problems, said: “In attempt to rubbish individuals for whatever reasons, political or otherwise, we should be careful not to rubbish sensitive institutions and their personnel that might still be in active service.
“It is unfortunate that some elements hide under the cover of anonymity in the media to rubbish some of the sacrifices we made. They should the take the courage to come out publicly by identifying themselves with their baseless allegations.”
It should be noted that President Muhammadu Buhari has fired all service chiefs alongside the NSA on July 13, Monday.
Sambo became a subject of media focus since his homes in Abuja and Sokoto were invaded by operatives of the Department of State Security Services (DSS) the same week he left office on the eve of Eid -Fitri 2015.
It should be noted that in the recent videos, Boko Haram leader Shekau failed to appear. This was followed by a set of allegations that he was either in hiding, or had been wounded or murdered.